By Default in Windows 8 you are unable to Ping the machine because of the firewall rules. In this post you will learn the simple steps to allow other machine to ping Windows 8 so that machine could perform a remote session with a computer that runs Windows 8.
Here's how to Enable ICMP echo Requests in Windows 8/8.1 for Pinging:
Write comment (0 Comments)
If you go into the Network and Sharing Center you may noticed that you have many Local Area Connection in the list, and they are incremented by a number at the end such as Local Area Connection 9. This additional connection are infact IPv6 Tunnel Adapters. When you are connected to a Virtual Private Network (VPN), a new simulated network adapter is created and a new local area connection are generated. So how is the network adapter automatically get created you may ask? Well it may be that you have downloaded and installed a VPN software that allow you to browse the internet anonymously, this software created a secure tunnel so that your data could not be read by other people while using the internet. If you no longer want to use this VPN you could remove the IPv6 Tunnel Adapter. In this post I will show you how:
Note: these instructions are carry out on Windows 8.1
1. Right click on the Windows Icon at the bottom, from the popup choose Device Manager.
2. Now expand the Network adapters and right click on the simulated network adapter that you want to remove and choose Uninstall from the popup. For example on my computer it is TAP-Win32 Adatper OAS,
3. On the Confirmation dialog click on OK button.
4. Now repeat the above steps for any other simulated devices that you would like to remove.
5. Finally restart your computer to see the local area network connection to be removed from the network center.Write comment (0 Comments)
Recently I have purchased a wireless usb adapter (150Mbps 150M Mini USB WiFi Wireless Adapter Network LAN Card 802.11n/g/b HP) on eBay, and once I have got the USB adapter I find that it does not come with an installation disk. I then return to eBay and check out the item description, the description says that I have to download the drivers to have it running.
Ok, before going any further I got to let you know that I am using this adapter on Windows 8.1. But I suspect it would work on other version of Windows too.
After downloading and installing the driver from the link provided by the seller it wasn't working. Because the USB doesn't have any description on it except it says 802.11n. Frustration started to kicks in, I then downloaded a tool to detect my sysem hardware and found out that this device is a Ralink. So I google for the drivers with the keyword "ralink usb wireless lan driver". From the search result I attempted to install drivers from these links:
After trying out all those drivers, still I have no luck and I could get the adapter to work. So I soldier on and look for other drivers, then I come across a suggestion where I can manually install the drivers. So I download this drivers from the asus site:
But after the installation nothing happens. I even try to reboot the computer a few times, and going into device manager and uninstall the adapter but it just won't work. As I was about to give up, I thought maybe I just give it one more try of the manual installation and see if I have any luck. As I did the manual installation from the driver update in the device manager, on one of the Windows I saw a button, and that button changes every thing. IT WORKS. YIPPEE it works. Here's what I did:
1. Right click on My Computer or This PC for Windows 8.
2. Choose Manage.
3. Then right click on Other devices > 802.11 n WLAN, and choose Update Driver Software....
4. On the next Update Driver Software dialog box, click on Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Then click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. This is the button I am talking about ealier.
6. From the list of Common hardware types double click on Network Adatpers.
7. On the next screen in the Manufacturer list box, select Ralink Technology, Corp. If you see two of them available, then choose the second one. On the right hand side Network Adatper list box, scroll down and choose 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card.
8. When you see a Update Driver Warning dialog box, click on Yes button.
9. Now wait for the installation to complete. You can now connect to your WIFI. Once it is working properly you should see a light lit up on the USB.
The device may also have other names like:
In this case you could use the same instructions above for this device.Write comment (2 Comments)
While the Dell Optiplex 745 has been release around the era of Windows XP and Windows Vista, if you wish to upgrade the operating system to Windows 7 or Windows 8 then you can. Dell does not support this upgrade but you can still perform the upgrade without too much of the compatabilit issue.
When installing Windows 8 on this machine, all the hardware drivers seem to be installed automatically except the Video Controller. You see in the device manager that the video controller is missing a driver and you need to update it.
You can down graphic card drivers there to fix the Video Controller error. Depending on which model you got, these are the three different drivers you could choose.
You could also update the mother board chipset:
Install the above drivers should allow you to use Windows 8.1 fine on your Dell Optiplex 745 without any further to do.Write comment (0 Comments)
Learn how you could switch users from the Windows XP Logon Screen.
In some scenarios you will need to switch to a different user account. For example you may need to get information from one user account to another or transferring music from one user's account to another. In another example, when you first boot up the computer, the Windows Logon screen will appear, but it only shows standard user logon on which you can click on, to bring up the logon widows where there is a text field that could you enter the user name and password do the follow:
From the XP logon screen:
1. Press and hold on the two keys simultaneously ALT + CTRL then press on the DEL key twice. Once you see the logon screen with the text field you can let go of all the keys.Write comment (0 Comments)