If you don't like to use the default port assign by the XAMPP server you change it to something else. There are many reason why you would need to change the default port. For example if you are running IIS server and apache server together on the same server and they both uses port 80. Then you would need to change the apache port to something else like 8080.
Here's how to get started:
1. Stop all running services on XAMPP. Open XAMPP Control Panel to achieve this.
2. Then go to the XAMPP installation folder. Usually it's in:
C:/apache/conf/httpd.conf or [XAMPP Installation Folder]/apache/conf/httpd.conf.
3. Open up the file httpd.conf.
4. Go to the line where is say Listen 80. By default is it port 80. But then again it could be something else if someone has change it previously. It is around line 47 in the file. Now change it to a desire port.
5. Now you also need to change the line ServerName localhost: 80 to the new port. It is around line 181 in the file.
6. Save the httpd.conf file and restart your XAMPP server.
7. Start Apache and MySql and other require services.