Step by step instructions of how you could easily install Virtuemart 2.0.0.
Virtuemart 2.0 have been released recently that can be install with Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.7. In this tutorial you will learn how to install Virtuemart on Joomla 1.7.
It is an assumption that you have already installed Joomla 1.7. If not, and you don't know how to you could read this: Installing Joomla From Your Web Hosting Account.
1. First you must download the latest package of Virtuemart 2.0.0 here. You will need to download the file com_virtuemart.2.0.0_extract_first.zip.
2. Once the file is downloaded, unzip it into a desire folder. I would just place them on the Desktop for easy access. Inside the zip file there will be two files:
3. Now login into the Joomla admin site with your username and password.
4. Click on the menu Extensions > Extension Manager.
5. Click on Browse button, and select the file com_virtuemart.2.0.0.zip file. Then click the Upload & Install button.
You should see the message "The installation was successful".
6. Next install the other file com_virtuemart_ext_aio.2.0.0.zip. Again click on Browse button, and select the file com_virtuemart_ext_aio.2.0.0.zip file. Then click the Upload & Install button. Once installation is successfully finished, you should see a Virtuemart link under Components menu.
7. Now check to see if the following plugin and modules has been installed.
Click on top menu Extensions > Module Manager. In the filter box type in vm and click on Search. You should then see the following Virtuemart modules.
Do the same for the plugin. Click on top menu Extensions > Plug-in Manager. In the filter box type in vm and click on Search. You should then see the following Virtuemart plugins.
8. Now go back to the Module manager and enable the desire module you would like to use on your website front end. You can also set the position where it would sit on the webpage. You can now go to your site front end and check out the new virtuemart module.
9. Next you will need to create a new menu link so the site users could navigate to your shop. To do so, click on Menus and select a desire menu you would like to create a link. For example you could add a link to the top menu, side menu and etc.
In this example we will use the top menu. So click on Menus > Top.
10. Next click on the New button, from the top navigation panel.
11. Under Details, click on the Select button next to the field Menu Item Type *.
Then from the popup, you will have the option to create a menu for:
In this tutorial we will select VirtueMart Default Layout.
12. Now give your link a Menu Title, and click on Save and Close button at the top.
13. Now go to the front end and checkout your shopping cart site. Your initial configuration may look similar to the below image.
Leave a comment if you have any trouble get the Virtuemart install, or if you have any great tips that can assist other readers to perform the installation easily.