A Wi-Fi hotspot is a term used to describe a place/access point that offers you Internet access. When going to any public places like cafes, airports or hotels they often provides a Wi-Fi hotspot so that you browse the web to check email or have a chat.
Setting your Xoom as a Wi-Fi hotspot, allows your other devices to use the internet connection via your phone 3G network. This is useful if you want to use a notebook to surf the web.
First, you will need to disable your Wi-Fi by doing these followings:
1. Tap on Apps icon .
2. Choose Settings .
3. Next, select Wireless & networks.
4. Power off your Wi-Fi.
Second, enable your Wi-Fi Hotspot by doing these steps:
1. Touch the Apps icon again.
2. Also choose Settings option.
3. Re-tap the Wireless & networks section.
4. This time, select the Tethering & portable hotspot pane.
5. Next, touch on Wi-Fi hotspot.
6. Now you will have to configure your hotspot security.
- Tap on Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings.
- Choose Network SSID.
- Provide a hotspot name as Network SSID.
- Tap on the Next button.
- Here you will see two security options:
A. Open: this means other users can always access your Wi-Fi hotspot.
B. WPA2 PSK: To protect your Xoom from any un-wanted access, it's strongly recommended to select this option because if someone wants to access your Wi-Fi hotspot, then they will need to provide a correct password to enter. Once choosing this option, just create a unique password for your own using and you can assured that your Wi-Fi hotspot is put under safe protection.
7. Finally, hit the Save button to complete your setup.